[AMRadio] 51J3 or 75A3?

W1EOF w1eof at hamnutz.com
Sat Mar 4 21:13:09 EST 2006

A friend of mine has an HRO-SR. It has mechanical not crystal filters. He
also has a bunch of Collins receivers including an 75A1, 75A2, 75A3, 75A4,
51J4, along with several R-390s and an SP-600. One night we were messing
around and listening to some guys on 160M AM with the various receivers.

When he switched to the HRO it was... weird, almost ghostly. Honest we were
not smoking anything but those guys coming through that National speaker and
filling the shack sounded like signals from the past. REALLY
long-delayed-echoes. I'm no audiophool but the sound was DISTINCTLY better
and had another "dimension" to it.

Ever since that night I moved the HRO-SR way up on my "Want one before I
die" list.

I remember him saying that any Collins receiver with crystal filtering
really distorted the audio in a noticable way. YMMV.

73,

Mark W1EOF