[AMRadio] 51J3 or 75A3?

Mike Sanders K0AZ k0az at corpranet.net
Sat Mar 4 22:40:36 EST 2006

If you want AM reception you want an HRO 50-1. Just my opinion of course.
Unmodified
excepting normal component replacements and upgrades. I have two HRO 50T1s.
Now you
can bench a lot of receivers that are 50 plus years old and hear different
things no doubt.
But these receivers in good condition and alignment are very tough to beat
for "that AM
sound". My 50T1s have one purpose and one purpose only. Listening to AM. On
higher bands
I agree with the previous poster on the NC183D. I just sold my beautiful
183D to a friend.
He is a lucky guy.
The problem with these receivers is that it is hard to get the audio gain
pot past 1 on the
knob dial without causing some pain in a normal size room. The bigger the
room the better.
CRANK IT UP! Use the matching speaker too.  Any big speaker will do but the
matching
speakers work very well and look cool too.
I have a Halli R-46B hooked to my TenTec OMNI 6. Even light weight radios
sound better
with a good sized speaker. So to do a "real AM receiver" like the SX28s,
HROs etc. justice
don't strangle them with a so so speaker. I have actually seen guys do that.
Don't know why.
It should be obvious. Right?

K0AZ  Mike Sanders
18169 Highway 174