[AMRadio] FM transmitter

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Sun Mar 5 01:01:56 EST 2006

> So sometimes others find our contacts interesting.

True - when I was a teenager in Ohio I ran a lot of 6m AM.  I didn't know it
but my 2E26-based 3 watt signal was getting into the local cable-TV system and
being amplified and carried all around the neighborhood - or perhaps even all
over that part of town.  I learned about it when an elderly neighbor stopped
me walking home from school and said that she'd heard me on her TV and found
my discussion of the new designs for "space shuttles" interesting.  She also
said that she'd talked to other people she knew and they were hearing me too.
They all knew who I was but none of them ever complained.

That also points out how old the space shuttle design has become...

I did have another neighbor complain very harshly about my 6m AM operations
one time...  He was hearing me on his stereo when he played records on the
turntable.  I  tried to explain how it might be happening and how we could fix it
- but he just said if it happened again he would "kill me".   Yeah right...
real nice to threaten a 13 year old.

A few weeks later I was looking out my bedroom window and noticed this bozo
working on a new stereo for his "rockin' van".  He was listening to an FM
station on 100.7 MHz as he hooked up the speakers in the rear doors..   I got the
bright idea to key up my six meter rig on 50.4 and the sure enough the second
harmonic blanked out his reception beautifully.  Each time he went back to work
on one of the speakers I keyed up and his outfit went silent.  Then when he
jumped up and ran to the front to fiddle with the radio I unkeyed and his FM
reception returned.  I made him dance back and forth for a considerable time...
I still cherish the memory.

Steve WD8DAS