[AMRadio] 51J3 or 75A3?

wa1zuf at juno.com wa1zuf at juno.com
Sun Mar 5 13:11:36 EST 2006

Great Thread!

Under the category of, "For what it's worth," I grew up using a 75A4 and about 20 years ago had my own 75A3. I will admit to being mesmerized by the Collins mystique and indeed they are outstanding receivers.

Recently, I went out to re-obtain a 75A3 for my shack, along the way I came across a number of other receivers when all was said and done, I found the Hammarlund HQ-160 to be a far superior in an audio than the Collins Equipment. (as compared to the an unmodified Collins)

This is not to say a Collins receiver doesn't have a future spot in my shack, however for the difference in price, I am very pleased with the HQ-160.

I also picked up a HQ-170A, there is no comparison to the HQ-160 for audio quality, however it is very comparable to the Collins in Stability and dial accuracy. It's a Great "Battle Mode" receiver.

Bottom line,  for $100 less than what I was going to pay for a 75A3 that needed repair, I bought 2 outstanding and in there own way comparable receivers.

Best Regards,

Steve W1TAV