[AMRadio] 51J3 or 75A3?

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Mon Mar 6 09:12:44 EST 2006

> "feel" of the station in which I took my Novice test back in
> '64. It was a 75A4 and a Globe King 500B.
> Seems I have lots to learn yet before I decide what to do.

Just a thought.  Maybe you're worrying over it too much?

It isn't as though the receiver you purchase can't be replaced if you decide
you don't like it for some reason.  I don't think there's an "ideal" or even
"best" vintage AM receiver.  But there are a lot of good ones, ranging from
something as pedestrian (but still pretty darn good) as the HQ-129, to the
HRO-50T1, to Super Pros (e.g. SP-210), R-390 (no-A), to all the other ones
that have been discussed in this thread.

Most designed-for-SSB radios do not make good AM radios, with the possible
exception of the NC-303.  Other than that, it's just more fun to get your
feet wet sooner than later :-)

Grant/NQ5T