[AMRadio] Class AB and B audio XFMRS

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sat Mar 11 19:34:52 EST 2006

Geoff, W5OMR said: More iron is better.

Reply by Jim, WD5JKO:

  Well not exactly. We are only part done when we take our mod transformer
that has a gap in it, and pass the DC through a choke instead of the
modulation transformer secondary. To get the full benefit from this we need
to eliminate the gap. If the mod transformer had E & I laminations with all
E's together, and I's together, then if possible, remove these E & I's and
then interleave them. This will increase the inductance of the windings a
bunch, and allow the same amount of iron to work down to a lower frequency
for the same amount of power. The P-P load impedance at the low end will be
better too, so distortion will go down as a result. In the example given
with the single ended audio output xfmr, the primary inductance (with gapped
transformer) only increased about 30% by removing the DC current from the
CCS. Combine this with eliminating the gap, and the inductance would go up a
whole lot more.

   Now instead of using a zillion Henry choke to feed the DC current, and
capacitive couple the audio as Geoff is doing, why not go back to that
gapped mod transformer, and add an additional winding, and use a power Fet
CCS (constant current source) to buck the DC field? If done well, maybe the
gap can be lessened, or eliminated? Sure the FET CCS would need to be nearly
ideal from DC to at least 5Khz, or it's mere presence would introduce
distortion.

Jim