[AMRadio] Class AB and B audio XFMRS

w5omr at satx.rr.com w5omr at satx.rr.com
Tue Mar 14 22:22:59 EST 2006

> Just because  its mil-spec freq response is +/- 1db is  100-3000~
> doesn't necessarily mean it is limited to that response.  It simply
means
> that it is guaranteed to be +/- 1db over that range.  Depending on
the
> manufacturer, it may actually have a much wider range.  I have seen
military items
> rated at 300-3000~  that were actually more like 50-8000~.  A good
example
> is the T-368.  The stock audio is very restricted, but if the low
level
> audio is redone, the xmtr has good enough iron to sound near
broadcast quality.

That's the exact point I was attempting to make... just because it's
garunteed to be +/1 1db at whatever range of frequencies, doesn't mean
it won't do better.  How much better is a matter of measurment.

It does however, Don, make me feel much better about using a T-368
modulation transformer in the 250TH modulator, with the reactor across
the secondary. :-)

That mod iron, as I've been told on the air, does allow for some fairly
deep low frequency responses.

My audio setup starts with a balanced-line output Sure SM-7
microphonium, into a balanced-line in/out 31-band graphic EQ, into a
balanced-line input on the modified Bogen PA system, used as the speech-
amp.  After that, the audio is taken directly off of the plates of the
8417's into a 1:1 isolation transformer, of which hte secondary is used
as a high-Z choke, while the audio goes to drive the bases of a pair of
ECG164 Vertical output transistors, lashed up in an emitter follower
configuration (thanks John/WA5BXO
ref:http://www.qsl.net/wa5bxo/driver1.html).  The emitter output lines
directly drive the grids of the 250TH's.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR(m5 Houston, TX)