[AMRadio] Amplifier to use with my DX-60

John Coleman ARS WA5BXO wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com
Thu Mar 16 10:58:24 EST 2006

	Alan, most all tube type linear amps are class B, or AB and can
be single ended or push-pull. In RF service the tank tuning takes care
of the output wave distortion making nice pretty sine waves.  Linear
amps are not class C because class C is really more like a switch than
an amplifier.  In most class C finals you can vary the input some and it
will not make any difference in the output.  For this reason they or
good for CW and plate modulated AM.  Class C finals have a
characteristic of the output following the plate supply voltage up and
down linearly. If the plate supply is dropped to half the RF output
voltage will drop to half, and so on.  For this reason the audio is
inserted in the plate power supply line, hence plate modulated.

As for power levels, an SB200 is only about 3DBs better than getting rid
of the control carrier modulator in the DX 60 (put it in the CW
position) and building an external plate modulator for it.  And it will
sound a lot better.  It is a really cheap project too.

John, WA5BXO