[AMRadio] AM Linear Operation

Ed Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Sat Mar 18 07:32:20 EST 2006

Hi Mike,

I'm sure it's been all hashed --- and re-hashed! --- here before, but a good
rule of them is this: to determine the (safe!) carrier output capability of
your linear amplifier in the AM mode, take note of the plate dissipation of
your tube(s) from the tube manual, then divide by two...

Example --- I have a pair of 813's in parallel here: a single 813 can
dissipate 125-watts, so that's 62+ watts of dissipation, times two, equals
125-watts in total. Adjust your drive accordingly so as not to exceed this
value, all the while monitoring RF output on a watt meter. When speaking,
it's always advisable to monitor your signal on a scope, too...I use a
Heathkit SB-610 monitorscope here, in the trapezoidal position...

Works for me!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ