[AMRadio] AM Linear Operation

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sat Mar 18 10:37:19 EST 2006

Mike,

    It might be doable to use a watt meter that either
looks at RMS carrier power, and PEP power by the flick
of a switch. Since on AM the PEP at 100% plus
modulation is ideally 4 times carrier power, the watt
meter will show that, say for a 100 watt carrier, you
should get 400 watts PEP.

    If you have a watt meter that can work this way
and communicate to you by talking, tones, or whatever,
then setting a linear amplifier up into a dummy load
is doable. Just advance the RF drive until the four to
one ratio drops, and then back off the drive a little
from there. If you can follow this approach you will
have a linear amp running AM set up better than many
others.

   You will need to juggle the mic gain, drive level,
and linear loading to see how much carrier you can
transmit while preserving the 1 to 4 ratio, and do so
without the visual aid of a scope. This will take some
experimentation.
   Once everything is set, then your antenna must
appear identical to your dummy load, or the linear
plate & loading controls must be readjusted. If this
is the case leave the mic gain and drive alone for
this final step. Making the antenna appear the same as
the dummy load sure simplifies things, and a tuner may
be helpful.

Regards,
Jim
WD5JKO