[AMRadio] Use of an oscilloscope to monitor am audio

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sat Mar 18 16:25:12 EST 2006

Jim I have a Tek 465M that I use.  I also have a tuner with a built in balun
that I do not use.  I use the tuner with coax  when operating off the
resonance of my antenna.  My scope and probes are good to 100 Mc and provide
enough bandwidth to monitor up to 29 Mc.  If your 453's bandwidth is less,
you won't be able to go as high.

So I take my 10:1 probe and attach to the output of the balun terminals.
One to the ground clip and the other to the probe.  That provides enough
isolation to give a waveform display.

The waveform is very difficult to follow as to assure 100% modulation.  To
be accurate, one should use the trapezoidal pattern.  The peaks and valleys
of a waveform cannot be seen accurately on a scope unless you have a storage
scope.  Others have suggested means of building a sampler for this purpose,
and I thought I would mention another way.

73  Jim
W5JO