[AMRadio] Voltage regulator

W1EOF w1eof at hamnutz.com
Sun Mar 19 17:11:31 EST 2006

One diode will do it if it's not very far from the relay coils. Diodes are
cheap but you don't one on every single coil if they are all in parallel.

The whole purpose of the diode is to protect whatever is driving the coil
from the back-emf pulse. In the case of a solid state device that back-emf
can kill it instantly. A small 5VDC coil can generate a LOT of voltage when
it's field collapses.

As as the Amphenol relays go.... If they are DC coils they should have the
reverse diode on them for good measure. Of course if they are AC coils (Some
are) then you definitely should NOT use a diode.

73,

Mark W1EOF