[AMRadio] RE: AM transmitter coming available

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 09:42:11 EST 2006

On 3/18/06, KC4QLP at aol.com <KC4QLP at aol.com> wrote:

> >WHAT IS THE WEIGHT AND SIZE?WILL IT FIT OK IN A PICKUP BED?

<snip>

> HAHAHA!....now thats funny!  If it were the 1KW version I'd say it possibly
> would fit in a good sized pickup being the size of a good hefty refriderator.
> But a small trailor would be needed to haul the iron.
>
> This 5KW box needs more than a pickup truck
>
> [currently maintain an RCA BTA 1R1]
>

> Bob Carter - KC4QLP
> Mid-Atlantic-Engineering-Services of Utica NY / Elizabeth City NC

And Bob is well aware, having helped disassemble and load a Raytheon
RA-1000 into a Ranger pickup *and* Wells Cargo trailer. Only a 1 KW
rig at that (albeit one of the larger ones). A mere 2300 pounds if you
don't count the spare iron. It handled the weight, but it was fully
loaded and then some. Even the 300G, a 250 watter, would be a pickup
load plus at 1370 pounds!

I hope someone saves it, and that whoever does has a very clear
understanding of what they're getting into *before* they get there.
This comes from someone who has moved several large transmitters,
thought he was prepared, and found surprises each time. It's a whooole
lot different than moving a BC-610 or your average relay rack full of
gear.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ