[AMRadio] Dummy Load

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue May 2 09:04:57 EDT 2006

On 5/1/06, Rick Brashear <rickbras at airmail.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have a nice hefty dummy load capable of 2kw - 3kw they would
> like to sell or trade?  I need something capable of  handling a 1000
> watt carrier for more than a few seconds.

I'd suggest checking with the guys who know of, or are parting out
some of the big old AM transmitters. Gates and probably others used to
have a built-in dummy load consisting of a large board or panel
covered with hefty non-inductive resistors. Even a 1KW version would
probably work alright for 2-3KW if you added some forced air cooling
by fan - provided you don't plan on leaving it keyed up for a long
period of time. I have one here that is rebuilt into a metal
enclosure, and actually managed to get it warm for the first time this
past weekend when W1UJR was over at my place helping to get things in
order. We were dumping a KW-input rig (750w or so) into it for
extended periods, and it handled it fine with no help from a fan.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ