[AMRadio] Dummy Load

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Tue May 2 12:49:44 EDT 2006

Rick,

   I once was looking for a high power load, and
decided to use two movie projector bulbs! If you
select 120 volt 600 watt quartz iodine lamps, and
install in series, you get a 240 volt 1200 watt lamp.
Since R=E^2/P, this works out to 48 ohms with just a
little reactance.

   I hoisted my "dummy load" to the top of a 40'
tower, and turned on my AM KW at 850 watts carrier.
Then I modulated with an audio recording. man oh man
the whole neighborhood was illuminated, and with the
modulation, it looked is if a fire was occuring. I
decided to stop when the cops banged on my
door.....That was about 1984...

Regards,
Jim
JKO