[AMRadio] hot water heater element dummy loads

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue May 2 14:45:59 EDT 2006

On 5/2/06, John Lyles <jtml at losalamos.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I gave a AM station $50 for a semi-burnt 7.5 kW Ohmspun load they used to use for 5 kW, that was made in a cast aluminum frame. It had the resistive wire 'toaster elements'.

Strange that you mentioned this, John. I almost posted about these
wire elements earlier, mainly out of curiousity. The RA-1000 I picked
up last September came with one of these for a dummy load. One mesh
sheet or element, maybe 2-3 feet long by 1 foot or so wide. Surrounded
by a metal frame with large porcelain stand off insulators on the
corners for mounting. The engineer (Bob, also on this list) told me
that this is what they used for a dummy load and I was amazed. Not
only had I never seen one before, it's difficult to comprehend
something like that handling a full KW carrier!

I take it they aren't as common as the non-inductive resistors that
snap into those large clips?

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ