[AMRadio] Dummy Load

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Tue May 2 16:32:23 EDT 2006

Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:

> On 5/2/06, W5OMR/Geoff <w5omr at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Jim Candela wrote:
>
>> > I decided to stop when the cops banged on my
>> >door.....That was about 1984...
>>

>> Which would be about 4 years before the Baraccuda ("The engine is IN!")
>> announcement, made over 75m phone, complete with starting and revving
>> engine, with no headers.
>

> Talk about a '*snap!* to send your overload relay into a seizure.
> Burnt valves! Burnt valves!  (o:

Jim's always had GREAT AM Audio from any transmitter he's run.
Listening on 75m at 2:30 in the afternoon, in the winter time in South
Texas meant that he was around 20 ~ 30db / S-9, w/100w, and 400w of
average peak power, 100 miles away.

What was that rig, Jim?  Something like a single 4D32 modulated by a
pair of 811's, or something similar?  It was stout *and* had plenty of
'presense' ;-)

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR