[AMRadio] Dummy Load

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Tue May 2 17:11:15 EDT 2006

--- W5OMR/Geoff <w5omr at satx.rr.com> wrote:

 What was that rig, Jim?  Something like a single
> 4D32 modulated by a
> pair of 811's, or something similar?  It was stout
> *and* had plenty of
> 'presense' ;-)

Reply by Jim, WD5JKO:

No the modulator was solid state, and was a crown
M600. I ran 200% + with a complex
resistor-diode-staggered bias negative peak
attenuator.

That engine was a 4 - barrel Plymouth 273 V8 with
solid lifter cam. I had just started it up earlier
that day after a full rebuild, and I got the idea to
broadcast the uncapped header exhaust noise on 3880
with the M600 wide open! The M600 was good for 600
watts audio at 8 ohms all day long, and 1340 watts at
4 ohms all day long...Maybe I was a little wide in
bandwith during that transmission!

Jim