[AMRadio] Ohmspun loads

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Tue May 2 19:41:33 EDT 2006

Todd
Ohmspun and Ohmweve load resistors are actually quite versitile, useful for up to a few MHz. They are made with resistive wire (like thin nichrome) wound into a fire resistant fiber which is then laid down in a pattern like a grid. Across each 'card' there is a bulk resistance, like 150 ohms. I have seen them at work going up to 10 kohms per, and as low as dozens of ohms. It used to be that they used asbestos fiber, so be careful when working on one, not to breathe the dust from the elements if they are falling apart. Also, when using it with a fan, same cautions. Now they use some sort of Dacron or other material. In 1997, I contacted 'Bert', the proprietor of Ohmweve, and had a custom 100 kW pulsed RF load built in a big cage of expanded metal mesh, 1000 ohms, for 2800 KHz. I used it as a dummy load for a custom RF amplifier which I built for work. The whole thing cost less than $2000 I believe, and it was truly amazing, had a good input match (very low stray capacitance or
inductance associated with the series/parallel layout of the 'cards' in it). They transfer heat to ambient very well, being basically a heater. We use about a thousand of these Ohmweve cards where I work as series resistors on the output of big capacitor banks for the particle factory.

They are in Niantic, CT, and I suspect are using some of the same people and equipment since 1944. Bert was not a youngster in 1997. They don't have a website anymore, but a phone # can be found with Google. They make excellent BC rig loads, and were found in many of the tops of them years ago. The Globar and wirewound resistors that Gates used also worked.

John
K5PRO