[AMRadio] Smoothing Choke

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Thu May 4 10:58:14 EDT 2006

Jim,
    I appreciate your take on the power supply and agree for the most
part.  Even though this particular ART-13 will see little if any CW
operation I would like the supply to be as stable and clean as
reasonably possible.  You are absolutely correct about the difference of
availability of capacitors and chokes in today's world versus the days
of W.W.II.  I considered using more modern components and at one time
even thought about an all solid state power supply.  It would be much
easier and cheaper to construct and less expensive to operate with less
heat.  However, the lure of the olden days kept calling me back to
glowing tubes and swinging chokes.  So, even though I agree that with
modern technology applied I could have a cleaner, lighter and less
expensive supply, I will likely stay with the old school thinking on
this one.  That is IF I can get the ripple to a low enough level so as
not to cause problems on the transmitted signal.
    Thanks again for your advice and explanation, you make a very valid
point and one which would serve my project well.
73,
Rick/K5IZ