[AMRadio] Smoothing Choke

Larry Taft ltaft at charter.net
Thu May 4 12:40:14 EDT 2006

Typical values for a Gates BC-1G 1 KW broadcast transmitter 2500 VDC
supply are 5-15 hy at 1 amp swinging choke with 8 uf filter cap.  The
load is 500 ma continuous for the class C final ( 2 833s in parallel)
plus another 500 ma variable for the class B modulator ( 2 833s in
push-pull).   The audio frequency response  is speced at 30 to 12,000
cycles per second.  The broadcast people used a single supply with the
final acting as a fixed minimum load to get around the filter resonance
problem at low frequencies.

Collins also used a cap across a choke for parallel resonance.  For the
20V3 there is a 10 hy choke with a 0.08 uf cap across it in parallel to
a second 10 hy choke (no cap) to an 8 uf cap to ground.  Again, the
final is a fixed load for the single supply.  Tubes are 4-400s.
Audio speced at 50 to 10,000 cycles per second.

Old technology.  Still good as long as the limits are understood.

Larry  K2LT