[AMRadio] shunt

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Fri May 5 12:13:44 EDT 2006

Good info, John and something to think about.  Shrader (Electronic
Communications 3rd Edition) seems to think a shunt is  doable.  However,
there is no mention in the test of how the shunt (coil of wire) would be
affected by radiation.  A shunt would certainly limit the current
available to the thermocouple, but would the results be contaminated by
external RF?  I think you're right, it would be a risky setup.

I want to measure the antenna current from a broadcast transmitter (1
KW) into a dummy load, of course.  I realize a 5 amp thermocouple meter
should suffice, but I wanted a little headroom in the event of a load
disaster that could send the current soaring and destroy the meter.
Your suggestion of a sampling device would certainly do the trick and
probably with much better accuracy, however, I want to set it up as it
would have been in a broadcast station situation.  Since I'll be running
much less than 1000 watts I'm sure, after rethinking it, the 5 amp RF
meter will do fine.

Thanks for the info and comments.

Rick/K5IZ