[AMRadio] shunt

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Fri May 5 16:01:13 EDT 2006

Maybe it is a little over kill. The transmitter is a BTA-1R2 and is
capable of only 1100 watts max according to the literature.   Of course,
that much power could only be used in a dummy load.  You're right, I'm
sure the supply line breaker would trip before it reached 25 amps, but
if the meter is only 5 amps it is possible to trash it before the power
disconnects.  If I'm not mistaken the BC-939 antenna coupler used with
the BC-610 transmitter uses a 15 amp meter in the antenna output
circuitry and the BC-610 is capable of only 400 watts carrier.  So, it's
not too far fetched to think that in the event of a catastropic event or
a bad mismatch the current would quickly soar to extreme levels.

Most likely I'll use the 5 amp meter since it's what I have and hope
nothing breaks or comes untiedin the dummy load when I'm testing it.

Rick/K5IZ