[AMRadio] shunt

Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Fri May 5 17:46:13 EDT 2006

I think maybe my concerns are not being understood.  I realize with 1000
watts and a 50 ohm load a 5 amp meter would be ample, if not ideal.
However, if the load were to become mismatched for some reason the
current could easily soar, immediately trashing the meter.  The proposed
shunted meter (which obviously was not a good idea) was to provide
headroom in the event of a problem.  It's quite possible during the
process of tuning that the current would be considerably higher than
when at resonance, even if the output wattage were only 500 watts.  Once
in operation a 5 amp meter would work best as the accuracy would be much
better than that of a 25 amp meter.

Rick/K5IZ