[AMRadio] Ferroresonant transformer revisited

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com
Wed May 10 16:38:27 EDT 2006

Looks like a nice Xsistor Jeff.  There may be some MOSFETS with 800 or so
break down that would work as well.  I plan on using the ones that Jim put
me on to for the four 813s driver SOME DAY.

I need to design a dynamic regulator of some sort for the screen supply of
the 813s.  (Needs 800V)  As of now I waste 100 watts in a bleeder resistor
to keep the screens steady.  The screen current is low in comparison to the
bleeder current so the voltage is pretty stiff.  I have thought of a charge
regulator for the input capacitor of the pi filter.  And maybe one of those
HV MOSFET would fit the bill.  My theory is to use choke input with high
capacitance on the output and then enable a charging capacitor at the input
of the filter, turning it into a quasi pi section to keep the voltage up
under heavy load.  I have never done this but have thought about it for many
years.

The circuit would look like a pi type filter but the input capacitor would
not go to ground.  Instead the bottom of it would connect to a tube or
MOSFET device that when biased "on" by a reduction of the controlling sample
voltage would allow the input capacitor to charge.  A diode place across the
tube or MOSFET would allow for the capacitors discharge path.

John, WA5BXO