[AMRadio] Oscillator Filament Voltage change and frequency drift

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Fri May 12 09:03:29 EDT 2006

I did lots of experiments with VFO/LO circuits when building
the homebrew receiver.
I found the most important thing in my circuits was the coil.
The best setup I came up with was large B+W coil stock.

Any slug tuned system I tried sucked, as did coils wound on
any type of form.
I tried ceramic forms, slug tuned or not, plastic, bakelite,
I tried using various npo caps to offset things, etc.
I tried various types and sizes of coil wire, close wound, space wound,
more or less inductance, hot wire wound on cold forms, glue to hold
the turns, etc...

The B+W coil LO seems to be REAL stable after a 2 minute warm up,
less then 500 Hz drift, no regulated filament voltage, although
the B+ has a VR tube to regulate it.

I also found using octal tubes as VFO/LO tubes is tough, they
are large and change a lot as they heat up. There is a wide range
between octal tubes as far as how they drift, and how much.

Brett
N2DTS