[AMRadio] Oscillator Filament Voltage change and frequency drift

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sun May 14 00:24:36 EDT 2006

Ok, Here is my first stab at this. The idea here is that the VFO uses 6.3
volts AC, and one side is grounded. This makes it tough to regulate unless
you use a half wave voltage doubler. Trying to use simple half wave
rectification and regulate has in the past failed because the rectifier
dropped nearly 1 volt, and the linear regulator needed at least 2 volts
in/out differential to regulate. So: 6.3 X 1.414 - .9 = 8 volts. On the
surface this will barely work with minimum 2 volt drop across the regulator,
but the input voltage will sag down considerably between the 60 hz half
cycles depending on load current, and input capacitor value. Therefore the
output will be pulsating at a 60 hz rate as the regulator keeps going in and
then out of regulation. This is a good idea that don't work.

In the circuit shown below, the diode drops only .3 volt at 300ma (6AU6
filament), and the regulator only needs about 0.2 volts in/out differential
to regulate at 300 ma. So 6.3 x 1.414 - .3 = 8.6 volts. This should work
since the regulator only needs .2 volts head so long as the input to the
regulator when dipping during the half cycle when the diode is reverse
biased can only decay to 6.5 volts.

I have a question for you mathematicians out there. What is the minimum
value of the input capacitor required in order to maintain regulation of the
LM2941CT? I picked 4700 uf @ 10 volts as a SWAG because it was as big as it
gets before size, and cost become factors. Assume the load current is a 6AU6
filament. The *AU6 tubes don't come in a 5 volt version, just 3, 4, 6, 12.

All these parts are in either Mouser or Digikey, and the major cost will be
shipping.

Jim
JKO

Schematic:
http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/VFO/VFO_Fil_Reg.JPG

1n5817 has forward voltage of about 0.3 volts @ 300 ma forward current:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/1N%2F1N5818.pdf

LM2941CT low dropout adjustable regulator has about 0.2 volt minimum in/out
differential at 300 ma:
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM2941.pdf

LM2941CT Visual:
http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/VFO/LM2941CT.JPG