[AMRadio] Wilkinson tx

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Tue May 23 00:39:46 EDT 2006

I maintained a Wilkinson AM1000 at WKEX in Blacksburg, VA, about 30 years ago. It stuggled to make 1 kW, and we ran it with a window fan blowing into the open back door, to prevent it from burning out the screen voltage rheostat (power control knob). Eventually I added some fixed R and the part lasted longer. It was pretty much a gutless wonder, similar to the McMartian except it used tetrodes not pentodes. They were made up near Denver. After Guffy Wilkinson passed on, they got bought out by Larcan I believe.

John
K5PRO