[AMRadio] OP says: "WHJY RUN AM?"

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Fri May 26 16:23:40 EDT 2006

I'd add that many folks who truly enjoy the concept of 'radio'
communications as opposed to internet or phoneline tend to relate more
to a hands-on approach of operation, as well as the warm, more natural
sound of amplitude modulation. Old tube gear gives a user the chance
to enjoy both, along with the nostalgia involved with glowing tubes,
analog tuning readout, and good-to-excellent audio output compared to
newer rigs.

Not only that, tube gear is much more durable and easy to understand
from an electronics standpoint. New Yaecomwood wonderboxes are
basically pushbutton, plug-n-play 'appliances' in the sense of using
or understanding them. That isn't meant in a demeaning way, simply as
a comparison to the older gear that requires tuning and other
adjustment for us. The older gear not only allows more interaction,
it's a very educational experience over time as you test tubes,
replace components, and so on. You can still get pretty much any
component you need for the old stuff, how many "newer" rigs can you
say that about?

Having recently returned to the airwaves, let me say that there's
nothing like it. I actually had a moth flying around the viewing
window of my transmitter last night, attracted by the glow of the
4-250As inside.

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend. Thank you
to all who have served or are serving our great country, as well as
those around the world who serve the cause of freedom and liberty.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ