[AMRadio] OP says: "WHJY RUN AM?"

k0occ at comcast.net k0occ at comcast.net
Fri May 26 17:15:26 EDT 2006

AM operators each have a set of reasons why operate AM. They all have reasons or they wouldn't do it.

For me, I think the primary reason is "INVOLVEMENT." I can be "involved" with these old rigs -  restoring them, getting them going, lashing them together to make a station, making contacts on gear that I brought back to life. And fixing them when they break.  A whole different experience than buying a transceiver, plugging it in and talking on it til it breaks, then sending it away to be fixed.

Besides that, this old gear is just plain neat. They have personality. Nothing like sitting in front of a 75A-4 and a Viking ll, or an HRO and a Ranger, or a lot of other combinations of rigs from 30's, 40's, and 50's.
Yeah, this old stuff  won't do all the things that the new stuff will, but last winter on a cold clear night, I worked 10 countries on 160 meter CW with a Viking ll and HRO-5. Somehow I got more fun out of that than working a hundred with a new transceiver and a KW.

To each his own. Some guys like old cars, some old airplanes, some old cameras. And some old gear and AM.

73

Ernie, k0occ
Atlanta, GAut

From: "Brian Carling" <bcarling at cfl.rr.com>