[AMRadio] White Face Johnson

Robert Nickels w9ran at oneradio.net
Sat May 27 16:37:20 EDT 2006

Peter Markavage wrote:
> That reminds me Bob; somewhere around here I have one Polycomm's business
> band amplifiers still wrapped in plastic that came out of a walk-in
> dumpster when they were junking a bunch of stuff from a closed NJ
> location.

I didn't know Polycom made one, Pete but it sounds liek a neat mate for
your HA-410.  This Johnson came from a local guy who ran an aerial
spraying business, using the old AM business band located just above 10
meters.  He gave me several of the solid state mobiles too, just wanted
it gone.  Turns out he was trying to copy some information in-flight and
the skip was in and he ended up spraying the wrong field.   Ripped it
out and went FM.  I don't know how widely this AM business band was
used, but you do see amps from various CB makers like Sonar on eBay and
at hamfests.  What I thought was cool about the Johnson PA/85 is the
high level modulator vs.  a linear amp.

73, Bob W9RAN