[AMRadio] JOHNSON WHITEFACE

Brian Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Sat May 27 18:38:03 EDT 2006

N4XY responds to Pete's comments about the recommendation
of trashing an old,  NIB Johnson Whiteface transciver:

QUOTE:
Since I can't let Pete's comment(s) sit, I'll make one last public
remark, then drop it on the list as far as my own comments are
concerned. The trick is going to be to do this without flame. So here
goes:

Where else does one put an NOS/NIB radio with all the papers/etc? It
would be fine to get it out and operate on occasion, but since it is
CB, I just wouldn't do that. Yet... I would have considered buying it
(these days I probably couldn't have afforded this particular jewel:
it's an allocation of resources thing) if I was suitably flush. Why?
Because, as I said, I consider it to have serious significance within
a Historical perspective of the HF Spectrum. THIS radio was THE radio
CBs were compared against for years. I only know about it at all
because of the number of 'Citizens' I heard/overheard talking about
White-Face-Johnsons. I believe its place in the chronicles of HF
Radio in general is a significant one; and it just seems like a shame
to find a NEW one and chop it up. Now that I think about it, if I WAS
flush, I'd try to buy this myself in a heartbeat. I think it is that
significant.

Now for the difficult-almost-flame part: Why in the world are you
even ON a reflector like this one Pete, if radios-to you-are just
bundles of components? And if it's just CBs ONLY that you feel that
way about, why is yours an opinion even worth remarking? As folks
like to say these days: whatever. Please feel free to disparage all
you like off-list-and I guess even one good shot ought to be allowed
ON list since I took this one. I actually do not mean it as an
insult, but am mostly just curious. You seem to have no respect for
equipment at all.

One small aside: I do not mean to be wearing false colors: I am the
Reflector Manager for the QSL.NET EFJohnson email Reflector. I cannot
recall EVER seeing anything about CB on there. If there ever has
been, it has been so infrequent I just don't remember it (and
wouldn't have paid much attention to it anyway.) I just didn't want
somebody thinking about it later and seeing some agenda in this.

At 03:43 PM 2006-05-27, Peter A Markavage wrote:
>How many of these things need to float around to preserve history? And
>preserve it for whom? It's a "plain-jane" CB; a box of hardware and
>components connected together. It was one of dozens of models popping up
>during that time frame. It wasn't even the first CB on the market. Chop
>it up, modify it, turn it into a blender, or whatever. It has little
>historic significance for future generations. Personally, I would sell
>it, and buy a real radio.
>
>Pete, wa2cwa
>///snip

72/73 Ed Tanton N4XY <n4xy at earthlink.net>
= = =

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" - so I guess
we all know what to buy Pete for Christmas this year!