[AMRadio] RCA blower

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat May 27 22:11:05 EDT 2006

>From: Rick Brashear <rickbras at airmail.net>

>Thanks for the tips, Paul.  There is no doubt the service will be
>considerably lighter than its original application and likely I could get
>by with less air flow.  I'd just like to get it back close to original if
>possible.  I will be looking for a quieter blower, no doubt.  However, I've
>been searching for that elusive "quiet blower" for some time for my 3K
>Premier and have yet to find it.

I cut down the blower noise on my Gates BC1-T to useable level by rewiring
the fans to run at half  voltage.  Originally they were on a 220v circuit,
so I rerouted the leads to run them on 110v.  Despite reduced air flow, they
still keep the interior of the transmitter cabinet cool, but instead of
sounding like a vacuum cleaner running, I can just barely hear them.  The
transmitter is located about 15 ft from the operating position.  Before the
modification, I had to disconnect the fans altogether because the
transmitter was too noisy to use in the same room.

I checked, and the fan motors do not run hot at reduced voltage, which can
be a problem with some electric motors.

There was an unused toggle switch on my transmitter, so I wired it to
operate the fans.  With a flip of the switch, I  can turn the fans on (at
1/2 voltage) or turn them off altogether.  I usually do not run them in
winter, when I keep my shack at about 60 degrees F to save on heating fuel.

Don k4kyv

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/