Rick Brashear rickbras at airmail.net
Tue May 30 09:25:31 EDT 2006

Hi John,

You make some very valid points.  I intend fully to proceed more or less
the way you suggested.  I've been crunching numbers for some time now
trying to figure out the best way to get to 75 meters with the least
amount of modification.  I appreciate all of the input, it has been very
helpful.  These old gals were built to last and to withstand years of
full time use.  They are equipped with many, many safety devices to
protect the circuitry and jugs, just as you stated, so if care is taken
they can certainly withstand a few tests to see if proper resonance has
been attained.  I appreciate your thoughts about not settling for a
partial conversion where you run at a reduced output due to poor
engineering practices, that is certainly not what Amateur Radio is
about.  Most of all, I agree with NOT hacking up these beautiful
transmitters.  I have restored many, many pieces of equipment and some
that were so hacked it was pitiful.  One of my BC-610's fell under the
hatchet at some point in its life and it will be some time before I have
the chassis' and cabinet returned to original.

Thanks again for the insight and if you have any tips or further advice
I would certainly be grateful.

73,
Rick/K5IZ