Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue May 30 11:06:06 EDT 2006

On 5/30/06, John Lyles <jtml at losalamos.com> wrote:
> I agree that modifying a broadcast transmitter to move it up to amateur service is a worthy goal and aspiration for most of us. Leaving it stock, and being unable to, or marginally able to crank power out of it at 160 or 75 isn't where it should stop. If it takes a new tank circuit, or injecting a signal from an external VFO, or using a Hi fi amplifier to provide audio drive, then so be it. However, modifying and basterdizing it with a dull drill bit, marking the panel with a Sharpie, putting out spurs and high distortion, or leaving it limping along at low power while the plates glow orange, is just not good engineering practice. So many of these beasts have been abandoned from 1 kW stations that have either gone dark, or are going solid state, and it is a shame for them to just be scrap metal, going into one of those metal bailer machines.

VERY good points, John. Considering that the vast majority of these
transmitters have already been hacked up by former engineers to keep
the signal on the air, finding a pristine unit and fearing making any
changes seems like a small worry.

I have a 300G and RA-1000 in the wings, both of which have had some
mods over the years but are still in very presentable condition. My
goal is to keep them that way and remove/repair old mods where and
when possible. I have no desire to try to triband them or use them
anywhere beyond 160, because I have other bandswitching transmitters
that do this job just fine. In my case, it's just simpler to keep them
close to their original design and enjoy them as they are.

But if it comes down to someone getting a transmitter and converting
it or the transmitter going to the scrap heap, I say as you do: grab
it, use it, enjoy it. Once they're gone, they're gone. I need to get
back to work on mine soon.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ