[AMRadio] Stock or modify? BC rig "value"

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Wed May 31 11:28:56 EDT 2006

>> I personally prefer to keep my broadcast rigs stock, using them on 160.
>> The
>> only mods that I have ever made in these transmitters are slight changes
>> tuned circuits to get them to hit 1885

Some considerations about moving a broadcast transmitter to 75 or 40 that
one should make is the design of the RF deck.  Keep in mind that lead length
from the tube to the blocking capacitor, from there to the tune cap and on
to the coil will exhibit additional inductance beyond the coil properties..
Usually these leads are very long which will not affect the circuit near the
design frequency.

This inductance plays a part in tuning the transmitter on higher frequencies
and must be compensated.  It seems easy just to retap the coil and retune
the prior circuits.  There is an optimum L to C ratio for any given set of
frequencies.  That balance should be maintained and if it isn't, the tuning
controls become very critical making the tuning very demanding.

Also the coils in these rigs are very large in diameter so you have more
inductance for a given number of turns.   When an RF circuit is designed for
a upper and lower frequency then tapped below that some transmitters leave
the unused portion of the coil floating which will affect the circuit.  Some
transmitters will ground the unused portion causing another problem.

When you move one of these things to 160 you are not too far from the design
parameters, but going to 75 presents challenges.  40 meters another set of
troubles in the design.

Remember also that if you drive a transmitter with 1 KW output, designed for
optimum performance at one frequency, with a VFO you should retune the
circuits when you change frequency or you can generate spurs and trash that
the final will just amplify.  That is why some people use them as crystal
control or leave them on one frequency.  Give this more than passing thought
because if you change 5 Kc then the circuits are out of resonance.  The
final will not transfer maximum power to the load efficiently and heat is
generated in the tuned circuits and the tubes.

73  Jim
W5JO