[AMRadio] Lethal Voltage

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wa5bxo2005 at pctechref.com
Wed May 31 12:14:26 EDT 2006

(misleading statement, It's the current that is dangerous)

	I have yet to find a place on the external part of my body where 12V
will push enough current for me to feel an electrical shock let alone do any
damage.  I have not experimented with all parts of my body but I have placed
12 volts on my tongue one and I did not taste good but I don't consider that
an external part.

	I however do not recommend working on circuits of any voltage while
wearing jewelry.  The metal of the jewelry may come into contact with the
circuitry and cause damage to your equipment or it may complete a short
circuit causing a lot of current to pass through the metal of the jewelry
and heat it up causing severe burns to your body due to the heating of the
jewelry metal.  This is the only time I have ever be hurt in a low voltage
circuit and it was not because of the current passing through any part of my
body but due instead to the heating of the metal caused by the current
passing through the metal.  In my case the metal was not jewelry but a piece
of wire which inadvertently fell of the battery terminals of the equipment I
was working on.  I should say I have burnt my self on my soldering gun.  You
may not know that several hundred amps of current pass through a soldering
gun tip.

	High voltage will cause current to pass through your body which may
paralyze you muscles causing you to not be able to get your self free.  The
shock from HV current through your body may cause you to jerk thereby
wreaking your equipment and hurting your self on some other object.  It can
cause death if the proper amount passes through a region near the heart.

	Low voltage, high current circuits, are dangerous as for as causing
burns and fires.

	High Voltage circuits can kill due to electrical shock to the body
as well as burns and fires.

John Coleman
WA5BXO