[AMRadio] Re: BC610 110v using one leg of 220

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Sat Nov 4 17:21:47 EST 2006

Hi Brian,

Think of 220 in your house this way (I am assuming you are not in a
commercial facility with 3 phase power)

At the power pole the secondary of the stepdown transformer is 240V
AC end to end with a centertap.  The centertap is grounded and
becomes the neutral in your main power panel (where ground (green)
and neutral (white) are combined.  So running around your house are
various 120V circuits some on one side of that transformer (often the
BLACK wire) and some on the other (The RED wire in multiconductor
cables only, everywhere else its always back.).  (In your main panel
normally every other breaker on each side is on the same leg i.e. 1,
3, 5 etc.  The others are on the other side or leg as its commonly
called. That arrangement facilitates 240V breakers like your range,
water heater, etc.

  The only way to find the 240 is by the measurements described
earlier.  Its not good form or code to get one leg here and one leg
there, a 3 wire with ground cable should always feed the 220
equipment. Black, Red, White, and bare (green).

A short means you connected a hot side to neutral OR both 120V hots
from each side or leg together.  That will make big fireworks and
should be avoided at all costs.

Hope that helps.

Larry W3LW

Your exciter runs on one 120V circuit and the neutral.At 05:02 PM