[AMRadio] BC610 110v using one leg of 220

Larry Taft ltaft at charter.net
Sat Nov 4 17:52:51 EST 2006

Brian,
Both wires are hot with the ground as a safety connection.  Check with
your voltmeter.

By your description do you have a 3 prong 220vac outlet as used for an
older dryer outlet?  Or an air conditioner?  Any idea as to the wire
size?  Is the ground wire the same size as the hot wires?  Many older
220 outlets were wired with say 10 gage for the hot lines and a smaller
ground wire, say 12 or 14 gage.
The 220 lines in a house are really 110 each side to neutral/ground
which is the center tap on the pole pig outside your house.  It is poor
form to use the ground wire as the neutral.  You would have to redo the
wiring in the circuit breaker panel to get the black hot 110, white
neutral and green ground.

Modern 220 installations have 4 wires. 2 hots L1 Black,and L2 Red,
Neutral White and Ground Green.  If you have this setup then either Red
or Black and White will give you the 110.  Ground is only for safety.

I try to give good advice...some day I'll follow it too.
Larry  K2LT