[AMRadio] Ranger... good news, bad news

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wa5bxo2006 at pctechref.com
Mon Nov 6 11:21:46 EST 2006

Jack:
	There should not be that much difference.  Perhaps the Ranger is not
putting out enough power because of a problem or its output is not making it
to the antenna.  There could be a problem on the pass through circuitry of
the SB200.  Try hooking the Ranger directly to the antenna not passing it
through the SB200 and don't forget to re-dip the plate on the ranger after
switching from SB200 to barefoot or vice-versa.  Of course if the SB200 and
ranger combo are putting out 200 - 300 watts then the setup is wrong.  The
output from the Ranger must be reduced until total output from the SB200 is
about 100 - 125 watts.  If you run too much carrier from the SB200 it will
defiantly over heat and the output will be distorted.  Theoretically the
SB200 is capable of 1000 Watts PEP and theoretically it should be capable of
250 watts carrier on AM.  But it would be bad news for the SB200 to do that
for any lengthy time.

Peter:
	As for my SB200 with a carrier only output of 75 watts the tubes
will show a little color after ten minutes.  I would like to drive the SB200
harder and unload the output to dip the plate at a lower level but there is
not enough output capacitance on 75 meters to do this.  Perhaps a switched
in extra load capacitor would do the trick?

	Maybe it would be easier to just build a chassis with a pair of
6146s or 807s running class C with 50 ohm dummy load at the control grid
instead of a tuned circuit and just have the plate circuit tuned.  I may
have just talked myself into something!!

John, WA5BXO