[AMRadio] Ranger... good news, bad news

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Tue Nov 7 18:48:35 EST 2006

Gary Schafer wrote:

>If you want to run 125 watts carrier out of the
> SB200 on AM that means you need to tune the amplifier up for 500 watts or a
> little more output with the load and plate tune controls on the amp peaked
> for maximum output with a given amount of drive.

Not sure I understand the why of this.  I did all as you suggested but
found when I was done that the plate tuning of the amp was exactly the
same as if I tuned it originally with the 100w carrier.  The dip was
exactly in the same place and the loading optimum is so broad that no
change could be noted.

> Watching the scope on the output of the amplifier should show the modulation
> peak voltage double what the carrier voltage is on the scope. If it doesn't
> you haven't tuned up properly.

Interestingly, the only way I get the peak voltage to double is with the
ricebox.  I can never seem to get more than about 50% increase with
modulation.

js