[AMRadio] Ranger... good news, bad news

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Tue Nov 7 20:36:26 EST 2006

Hi Guys,

I haven't really been following this thread all that closely, but has any
mention been made yet about the fact that the MAXIMUM amount of RF output
carrier that one can safely extract from a linear amplifier tube in AM mode
is equal to ONE HALF of the tube's plate dissipation...?

Ex. an 813 has 125-watts of plate disipation --- in AM linear amplifier
mode, that'd translate to just under 65-watts of AM CARRIER output.

I used to run a pair of 813's in AM linear amplifier service for a total of
125-watts carrier output. A 'scope --- like a Heathkit SB-610 --- in
trapezoidal mode is absolutely invaluable in setting up an amplifier this
way...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ