[AMRadio] Re: Ranger... good news, bad news

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Wed Nov 8 12:42:37 EST 2006

Gary Schafer wrote:

> So unless you have some higher gain tubes in the amp 12 to 15 watts drive
> will not be enough drive.
>
> Now you can tune and load the amp to get the 125 watts out with lower drive
> but it won't be linear.

Now I am really getting confused.

I have contended all along that it takes about 20w drive.  Everything
seems to work well including 100% mod when I drive with 20w.  Only
problem being that the tubes redden.

As a point of interest, I am using 6L6's in the modulator but assume
they just won't last as long and not effect the amount of modulation.
Is this a good assumption?

js