[AMRadio] 813/811 Rig

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 10:14:54 EST 2006

On 11/11/06, Jack Schmidling <jack at schmidling.com> wrote:

> Having said that, I guess something around 300w carrier would keep me
> happy for awhile.  And "a while" is sort of subjective, the barefoot
> Ranger lasted till someone said, "you need to put some fire in the wire"
> and signed off.

Or phrased another way, "Life is too short to run pissweak!". There
are times when the bands are nice and quiet, when low power rigs like
those used by the cakepan crowd shine through and the Rangers and
DX-100s sound like blockbuster rigs. Unfortunately those times seem to
be scarce compared to the nights of nearly hand-to-hand combat on 75
with the slopbucket crowd or wingnut jammer types. Running a small
signal then is an invitation to lose a frequency, and brings to mind
another famous AM quote: "The weaker they are, the longer they talk".
I recall plenty of nights back in the early 90s when 100 watts from my
32V just wouldn't cut the mustard. 'Frustrating' is an understatement.

Sounds like you're on the right track here, and there are plenty of
big rigs out there to be had if you don't want to homebrew, or to use
until you have your transmitter ready to roll. I just had a T-368
given to me a few weeks ago and will probably be peddling my Beastly
610E at some point. Also sent a nice Raytheon RA-1000 to a new home in
Maine back in October. Don't know where you're located Jack, but
there's a lot of big iron in the northeast, and probably most places
in the US. It will likely require some amount of driving and loading
to retrieve, unless you find something next door.

Plenty of good info from the crew here. Even more is located on
amfone, which is also a great place to ask questions. K1JJ has a nifty
rig on there known as the 'blown 813 rig' which utilizes lantern
globes for chimneys.

My advice would be to find an old rig that is pretty much ready to go
and get it on the air. Then build a nice HB rig as well, taking your
time and asking a lot of questions. In the end, you'll still have the
Ranger for low power work, the big rig for higher power conditions,
and the HB rig to tweak and enjoy. If one of the big rigs breaks down,
you have a back up and needn't be off the air while you search for
parts.

A strong signal on AM is a lot like a collection of spares: Better to
have and not need, than to need and not have.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ (former pissweaker)