[AMRadio] Class C finals

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Mon Nov 13 23:18:12 EST 2006

wa5bxo2006 at pctechref.com writes:

>It involves, 3rd harmonic shaping circuits
>in the grid tank, and 3rd harmonic traps in the plate.
>RCA built a broadcast transmitter using this design.

I'm familiar with that rig - the BCA-5T as I recall.  If you mistuned the
harmonic adjustments, it was a 3500 watts AM transmitter.  When you properly
adjust those harmonic cranks, it did the full 5 kW AM.  Seemed to work fine, very
interesting idea.  It wasn't the absolute best-sounding 5 kW you could have,
but efficient.

Steve WD8DAS