[AMRadio] Ranger Audio

Brett gazdzinski brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com
Wed Nov 15 08:21:14 EST 2006

I think there were different D104 mic's, some
had a crystal cartage, others had a ceramic one?

The crystal ones have a REAL high impedance, and want
to look into a 2 to 5 meg resistor to ground at the grid.

I also found the mic cord critical, I tried to replace mine,
as it was on the short side, I only added a few feet more, of
quality mike cable, but the audio sounded nasty, and I went
back to the oem cord.

Its real tricky to get a good frequency response out of such
a high impedance, without getting a lot of hum.
If you open up the transmitter audio, it will allow
the passage of the 60 and 120 cycle hum coming from the
mic amp.

I run the mic amp filaments off DC, which eliminates the hum.

I just add a diode in series with the filament, and an
electrolytic cap. The size of the cap sets the voltage,
the bigger the cap, the more voltage. I just experiment
to get around 6 volts.

The DC running the filaments does not have to be pure,
the rough filtering seems enough to eliminate the hum.

I run a 5 meg to ground on all the D104 rigs.
With the audio opened up, and DC filament, and
some feedback from the secondary of the mod iron
to a low level speech amp stage, it can sound very
nice and smooth, and I like the D104 feel.

Plugging a D104 into any stock rig usually ends
up sounding like a really cheap telephone....

I never had one, but I have been told the D104's
with the amp built in are no good...

Brett
N2DTS