[AMRadio] Ranger Audio

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 10:09:57 EST 2006

On 11/15/06, Brett gazdzinski <brett.gazdzinski at verizonbusiness.com> wrote:
> I think its normal if you run them into
> the typical 1 meg input resistance most
> rigs had.
> At 1 meg and lower, they sound like a cheap
> telephone or worse.
> They can sound real nice at 5 meg.

Found this out with mine years ago when it first hit the airwaves.
Happened to work Ed WA3PUN and the gang out that way late one night,
and was informed of what was wrong ad exactly what was needed. Ed even
sent me a schematic with the necessary changes. Changed out said input
resistor in my transmitter to a 4.7 meg I had on hand and it made a
world of difference. Brian and Paul have both made recordings of me
and to my ears, it sounds just like me.

As others have mentioned, you need a crystal element and it needs to
be good. They're not terribly fragile per say, but are susceptible to
heat (being left in the bright sunlight coming in a window will do it)
and very much so to being dropped or knocked over. A mic can look
brand new but sound like absolute dung if it's been dropped.
Definitely bypass the internal amp, if it has one.

The ceramic D-104 in the pile here has a green tag affixed to the top.
That's how I always told them apart. As far as testing, I've always
used a known good head for comparison, and just swapped them out to
test. Difficult to do in it's your only mic, of course.

Keep in mind too, that even a good D-104 crystal will sound a bit
peaky, which is what they are known and appreciated for. You won't get
thundering lows out of it like you might using the RE-20 and
processing. But it's tough to beat a good D-104 for an off-the-shelf
mic with decent audio. A good one makes an excellent standard for
comparing the audio of other mics.

~ Todd  KA1KAQ