[AMRadio] Ranger Modulation

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Thu Nov 16 11:28:11 EST 2006

Larry Taft wrote:
> Try reversing the phase of the audio by swapping the output leads of the
> modulation xfmr.

First I swapped the tubes to no avail.  I then swapped the wires and now
have a strange buzzing that I can not locate but it shows up on the
audio with the gain at zero.  Don't know if I barfed something up or not
but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that this an an indication to
reverse the leads.

> Weak tube in the audio chain causing lack of gain needed for the
> positive peak.

Just ordered new audio tubes.

Now I notice another discrepancy..... the manual that came with it says
to adjust the mod current to 75-90 ma.  The manual that Rick sent me for
the new version which I seem to have says 55-70 and no clue why the
difference.

Which is correct and should I make an allowance for using 6L6's instead
of 1614's?

js