[AMRadio] Ranger Audio... the numbers

Jack Schmidling jack at schmidling.com
Fri Nov 17 12:44:09 EST 2006

Gary Schafer wrote:
> It's beginning to sound like a partially shorted mod transformer.

I checked the resistances of the transformer earlier in the game and
they are nominal.

  >With 20 volts signal on the grids of the mod tubes I would think that
 >you should see at least 200 volts on the plates??

I have no idea but if mine is off by a factor of 4, would it work at all?

> Could be bad 6L6's.

Or back to a reason for using 1614's perhaps?

> Can you easily get high modulator plate current with audio applied? Will the
> mod plate meter peg or nearly so if you hit it hard?

Yes.

>If it will that is an
> indication that the tubes are good and the transformer may be shorted.

Except that the transformer appears to be ok.

To refresh..  we are talking about a max of about 75% modulation on
peaks but no problem over modulating at the base line.

js