[AMRadio] Ranger Audio... the numbers

Larry Taft ltaft at charter.net
Fri Nov 17 13:32:00 EST 2006

Try again, only this time wait to push "send".

Unfortunately an ohmmeter test on the leads of a xfmr will not show a
turn to turn short in the same winding.  The real way to test is send
AC, ie audio, into the iron at a modest power level and look at the
waveform coming out.  Distorted waveform is the result of the shorted
turn.  In power xfmrs the short  causes gross overheating and depending
on the size of the xfmr some spectacular fireworks.

6L6 or 1614:  For all practical purposes they are the same at the
voltages and power levels in the Ranger.  The 6L6 long term might be a
bit stressed and not give as long a life.

73, Larry  K2LT